Deranged Cyclepaths (Part 1)




CHANGE OF PLANS!  I'm having lunch at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena- Corner of Allen and Colorado.  This is much closer to start.  I'll be there at 1pm.

December 1st & 2nd, 2012 - rain or shine. 


Up Mt Wilson Toll Rd from Pinecrest gate to Henninger Flats, and camp overnight. Then continue up to Mt Wilson and down Mt Lowe Rd. 


 "Camping is available by permit."  I'll see more into that, but I can get a fire permit here- http://fire.lacounty.gov/forestry/OpsHenninger.asp 

 "good only for Henninger Flats camp stoves. The County maintains Campgrounds, a forest tree nursery, a museum and an auditorium for the public’s use. Sanitary facilities, water and firewood are available to visitors free of charge " 




It only takes 1 hour to get to Henninger Flats from the Eaton Canyon Pinecrest gate (total distance: 2.7 miles  - fairly strenuous).  



To Bring: A sleeping bag with a small tarp to wrap around it. Extra tubes and a flashlight for a night hike.  Make sure your brakes have plenty of padding for Mt Lowe downhill insanity. A good gear for climbing and 32s tires or fatter with some tred highly recommended.

Meet at 2:30pm at Allen Gold Line Station (under bridge)
We will arrive back no later than 2pm on Sunday after we stop for lunch.

I will provide food for those interested. Complete route available by request.


I can't guarantee that anyone will carry up supplies for us.  That doesn't mean it's impossible.  You could ask someone, but I am not certain who will be hiking.  I am only bringing a sleeping bag plus what I am going to cook for you guys.  I require no more than this, but most people are different than me.  I imagine that cold temperatures will make this overnight deal a fairly uncomfortable one.  There are no fire pits to warm yourself by.  Only the stupid camping stoves they provide.  They provide bathroom, water and firewood for the stoves.  I am cooking cheeseburgers, chili, and a vegan option for those interested.  If this were earlier in the year I might have been more persuasive.  This will be brutal.

Hey, They also have an auditorium, so if you want to perform something for the group, here's your chance!


If you are camping, I am assuming you will be eating my dinner and breakfast that I am making.
If you are not going to eat my food, please let me know so I don't have to bring more than I will need.

List of Confirmed- (*eating)
1 Borfo *
2 Esther
3 Brendan *
4 Lance *
5 Allan *
6 Steven N. *
7 Enzomatic *
8 Jeff W. *
9 Stella N. *
10 Peter Rubi *
11 Pee Cee 
12 John Vu *


Hiking and not camping
 Marino
 Ruth

 

FINAL UPDATE: If you are not going to eat my food, please let me know so I don't have to bring more than I will need.



Hikers need to know not to park at Pinecrest Gate. That gate gets locked at sunset 4:45pm. Park instead at Eaton Canyon Station Parking lot. It will add 4 miles to your hike roundtrip.

We will be camping in Fuji Camp

spoiler complete map - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1841479



12 comments:

  1. Holly cow this looks like a sign from G-word. I get another chance to wear my ball sack swim suit since we're stopping at two different rivers! I doubt I'll be able to cowboy up like all the other doods with their sleeping bag and tarp, but I'll give it my best shot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wonderful now we are going to have more than one ball sack g string in the river with us

      -e bunny

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great trip, Borfo - I'll certainly be there if new work doesn't interfere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think I can do this bike overnight with the same MTB that I used on all other the gloaming rides? Either way, I am going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of these cowboys going to make it if it's raining? Even if it's a few drop?

    And who's fixieforlife and BFBA? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it rains before the trip, there could be snow. Honestly a good sleeping bag, thermal underwear, a fleece jacket, a beenie, and a small windbreaker are all you need to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I'm going to do this rain or shine.

    Also, consider bringing something to share or entertain with on Sat evening.

    Any more questions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If any of you are bailing and have not told me yet, I'd really appreciate not having to buy, cook, and lug your food up there if you are not coming. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone wants to join me for lunch before the ride tomorrow I will be eating at this Korean BBQ Joint at 12:30. Link - http://www.yelp.com/biz/young-dong-garden-arcadia-2 Afterwards we will get coffee at Taza next door. Then we will catch the Goldline to Allen station, unless you prefer to ride.

    ReplyDelete